Friendswood United Methodist Church
Sharing the life-changing power of Christ everywhere, and every day.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Friday we checked into the Bio Intensive Farm. What an incredible place. The people there have developed methods to help people with small plots of land be self sufficient - from the way the animals were being raised to the planting methods. Nothing was wasted. The team all took turns helping with meal preparation or meal clean up. Olive was our gracious hostess and all of the staff were so very welcoming.

City girl here thought we were really roughing it. The dorm style rooms were small and the restroom facilities were 'interesting.' I learned that I am thankful for many things.
I am thankful for thermostats - it was pretty cold at the farm, but there was no temperature control for the rooms. There are really places without air conditioning and heat.
I am thankful for warm showers - I didn't know we had to turn the hot water on with a switch and set the control on the shower head. Boy, was that shower cold, and then I had to step out into a cold room. Brrrrrrrrr.........
I am thankful I don't have to sleep under a mosquito net every night at home. I learned how to spread the net around my bed and then get in and out of the net without messing everything up. I was quite proud of this achievement.

I was most thankful that so many people from Kenya and the U.S. saw the need to develop different methods of farming to help those people in need and now educate so many to make their lives better. I saw the face of Christ in those we meet at the farm and felt the love of Christ in those who came before us and worked so hard.

What a blessing to experience the Bio Intensive Farm.

The trip from the farm to Maua was a rough van ride. The roads are horrible and speed bumps are all over to control the speed of traffic. We saw so many people out walking. That is the main mode of transportation for the people. We saw carts being pulled by donkeys and cows. Jerry Hamon has a wonderful picture of a pig being transported on a motorcycle. I hope I can post the picture later.

The main road is paved, somewhat, but the roads you turn off on are dirt. We saw people chipping rocks by hand to be used to fill the pot holes.

We learned about the drug - Mira, which comes from a plant that is found all over this area. It's not illegal in the form it is used in here so there is drug traffic all over. We saws the plants being transported on motorcycles and larger trucks - which fly by on the road, even with the speed bumps.

My eyes are being opened to so much here. I am so thankful for the wonderful team I am traveling with. They are all supportive of one another and share the love of Christ with so many.

Blessings,
Rosemary

No comments:

Post a Comment