Friendswood United Methodist Church
Sharing the life-changing power of Christ everywhere, and every day.

Friday, June 22, 2012

I am so proud to be a part of The United Methodist Church and particularly a part of Friendswood United Methodist Church! The work with the Aids Orphan House was tremendous! Thursday I made rounds with Chaplain Grace. She is so sweet and compassionate but she also knows when to stand strong. When we went into one of the maternity wards there were 4 women - 2 had lost their babies in delivery and 2 had successful deliveries. The 2 grieving mothers had things stolen from them and Grace said it most likely was the other 2 women who did it. I don't know what all she said to these women but she preached to them with a very firm voice.  I was ready to apologize and I didn't even do anything! We continued and visited patients of all ages. I learned that they do not have an Intensive Care Unit. All patients are just placed in wards. I did get to visit with the woman that was injured in the car accident who was transported back by ambulance. I learned that the woman who died in the accident was her mother in law. Mary , the injured woman,  has some broken ribs and a broken pelvis, but is recovering. One of the reasons I did hospital rounds again today is because the chaplains said the people feel like we care if we come by more than once. Today  was special  because many remembered meeting me on Tuesday when I did rounds. They welcomed me back and some even asked for prayers. If you are admitted to the hospital here they expect you to bring your own cup, plate, spoon, soap, towel, slippers, toothbrush and toothpaste. I noticed a sign in one of the wards today that said: Please wash your cup and plate after you finish eating. The patients who are able go outside and sit on the grass during the day to visit with others and get some sunshine. It's very different here. This afternoon was very special. The team went for the dedication of the Aids Orphan Home that we all helped build. We represented our church and the many people who gave donations to help fund the home. It was an exciting celebration with prayers, scripture, preaching and speeches. I was even asked to share a few words as a pastor of Friendswood UMC. It was very emotional. People who live in the area ( many children) started appearing. They just walk out from the trees and brush and there they are. The family who received the house had lost their wife/mother to aids. She left behind her husband (who looked very  ill) and 3 small children. The husband was so grateful for the home. Their previous home was torn down and this house was built in its place. Their previous house was so bad that the children were sleeping outside.  The house we built was 2 rooms. There is no electricity, no plumbing, no bathroom, no kitchen. It is very rustic but it will provide a place for the children to get out of the weather. Most of the people who live in the area where this house was built do not have shoes. There feet are filthy. What is really concerning are the diseases they can get through the feet from worms and insects. I must say that I have a new relationship with my hiking boots. They have helped keep me from injuring my feet and ankles and from getting ill. I LOVE my hiking boots! If I could bring some of these precious children home with me I would. I would love to give them a clean place to live and all the many things I could provide for them. However, that would not solve the overall problem of poverty here. It wouldn't even be putting a bandaid on the problem. It wouldn't be fair to take these children away from people who love them. There are over 40,000 orphans in the area that the Maua Hospital serves. Many heads of households are as young as 10 years old. But they are taught skills to be able to produce an income and how to care for their younger siblings.  Friday will be our last day here. It will be hard to leave these people knowing how much more work there is to do in this area. Blessings, Rosemary

No comments:

Post a Comment