Friendswood United Methodist Church
Sharing the life-changing power of Christ everywhere, and every day.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Today is Sunday and we worshipped at St. Joseph's Methodist Church. We walked to church passing several cows and goats along the road. When we arrived at church the English service was taking place and I could hear the people singing a familiar hymn. A small choir was on the door step of the Sunday School building singing. It was beautiful! I couldn't understand a word they were saying but it was definitely Spirit filled.

We went to the children's Sunday School class and the children and leaders were so very welcoming. They were singing and playing percussion instruments for a long time as people gathered. The Savutos, the retiring missionaries, were there with their family saying good bye. It was so nice to see Jerry and Bill Savuto. They were at our church recently telling about their ministry here. It was great to see them in this location as they prepared to officially end their service to the people of Maua.

We attended the Swahili service. There was a lot I didn't understand. The church was big and beautiful, yet very simple. There were no bulletins. The information for the service was written on a large chalk board. The music was accompanied by a keyboard, a guitar and a bass. The theme for today was Forgiven Much, You Love Much. 3 children read the scriptures for the service. We were welcomed during the service and asked to come forward and introduce ourselves. It was a wonderful worship service filled with the Holy Spirit.

After worship we walked around the Methodist Compound where the church, hospital and staff housing is located. We were invited to visit the Savutos former residence which is now occupied by the new missionary. After talking for a while we went back to the hotel and had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch.

I have another new best friend - my hiking boots! A group of us hiked to the water falls this afternoon. I have never been hiking like this before and it was an expience I will never forget. I could not have made it without my hiking boots. I could not have made it without the help of many of my team members. The road we walked on was very rocky. We then got on a trail for part of the way and then the trail ended and we were following our guide who led the way. Some of the areas we were hiking in were very narrow and posed a great concern for me and other team members. One member fell down twice along the way and Patrick our guide rescued her. It wasn't me. I froze a couple of times in the paths but there was always someone offering a hand or shoulder and encouraging me forward. The water falls were beautiful. I am so glad I didn't give up and go back. I couldn't have gone back because I would never have figured out the direction to go! It's amazing what we can accomplish when we have a group of people who are ready to cheer you on and give you a little nudge in the right directions! We came back down the hill by way of the tea field. Teas was planted in a terraced area on the side of the hill. It was beautiful and we were walking through the middle of it. Truly overwhelming.

We returned to the city and walked through an area that was a housing project. Such poverty. Beautiful children wanting our attention.

It was an incredible day to worship God, to experience his beautiful creation and to have the opportunity to experience a new culture. I am so glad we have had the time to get immersed in the culture before we start our work. Tomorrow we begin our work. My backpack is packed with my work supplies and it is safely under the mosquito net in bed with me for the night. I think I am going to do dry walling tomorrow but I don't know for sure. I will let you know what new skills I acquire. My Dora the Explorer hand sanitizer bottle is hanging on the side of my backpack and my toilet paper is inside the backpack. I am ready to go forth and face whatever challenge I encounter tomorrow. God doesn't call the equipped. He equips those he calls.

Blessings!
Rosemary

No comments:

Post a Comment