Friendswood United Methodist Church
Sharing the life-changing power of Christ everywhere, and every day.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Another ambulance ride - a different story! The day started with our usual walk to the hospital. My hiking boots are getting really dirty. Wet wipes are of no use in cleaning them. Believe me, I've tried! Our team led 2 chapel services today for the hospital employees. I was so proud of the team. They did a great job. Our three youth signed the song In This Very Room and the people really enjoyed it. I can't believe that I had the opportunity to present the message for the service. I am truly blessed! After chapel I loaded up in an old ambulance with the rest of our work team - Jerry Hamon, Theresa Thompkins, Tatum Garvin and Hannah James and 5 Kenyan men and the driver. We headed to a jungle area to work on the Aids Orphan Home. It is a 2 room house. I got to hammer, saw and paint. I need more practice with a hammer. Some of you may get to see a video Jerry took of me trying to get 1 nail in. It was embarrassing how many times I tried to hit it! I did hit my thumb twice today, didn't lose my religion, but gained a swollen, purple thumb. When I wasn't working on the house I played with the children. Children seem to appear from nowhere out there. I was looking down painting boards today and when I looked up there where children all over just watching me. I got them to dance and laugh. I brought my phone and portable speaker and had the music going in the jungle. Who would have thought that me - the electronically challenged person i am - would be out in the jungle of Kenya playing music and dancing with the kids! It was amazing!We had a wonderful time playing together. A mother nearby showed me her home. It was so small and had very little furnishings. Her 3 month old baby is sick. I wish I could have done something to help with this precious child's breathing. We learned at the hospital that a lot of mothers don't name their babies until they are a month old because many don't make it. Today the baby blankets, baby hats and diapers were presented to the hospital. A couple of team members were able to go to the maternity ward to present some of these gifts to the new mothers. All of the gifts and donations are so appreciated. They feel the love of Christ through these many generous offerings we have been able to give on your behalf. Tomorrow I get to do more rounds with the chaplain. I am eager to see what God has planned! Blessings, Rosemary

No comments:

Post a Comment